Friday 25 January 2013

The Les Mis write up (about 4 years behind everyone else)



*** Contains Spoilers*** 

I think it's safe to say that the Les Mis movie has taken the world by storm. I can't pick up a magazine, watch a TV programme or even take the bus without seeing some form of advertising. And I, along with the masses, have Les Mis fever.

I am actually ashamed to admit this, but I didn't like the stage production (don't stone me). In fact, up until this month I would have gone as far to say it was one of the worst shows I had ever seen. Theatre is normally my escape from reality. I go to dream, and to be transported into someone else's life for a few hours - for me, this was one big dark, colourless depressing song after another. However after seeing the movie I have such an urge to give the show another try.

For me the movie was nothing short of perfection... well apart from Russell Crowe. I don't feel truly qualified to give a detailed write-up as there are so many super fan reviews out there. I do however want to share my highlights.


  • Anne Hathaway - Just wow! Her portrayal of Fantine was absolutely flawless. Considering the fact she only had 15 minutes of screen time, I feel she made the biggest impact. 'I Dreamed a Dream' in particular was filled with raw and exposed emotion, rendering it harrowing to watch.
  • Master of the House- Pairing Helena Bonham Carter and Sasha Baron Cohen together was genius. It brought some welcome comic relief, and spotting Kerry Ellis throughout that song was a bonus.  
  • All the scenes at the barricade - I loved all the camaraderie between the students and Eponine's death was so heart breaking - Samantha Barks did a brilliant job.
I would absolutely suggest giving this film a watch. It covers a lot of dark territory but ultimately ends with the theme of hope. Hats off to the cast and creatives - what a fantastic outcome. 

No comments: