Thursday 1 March 2012

The Megabus Sleeper!




As you may or may not know, I have a slight obsession with the big smoke. That being said I plan regular trips from my home town of Glasgow to London, roughly about once a quarter, and feel that I have perfected the art of getting there relatively cheap. Rail is normally my transport method of choice, however when I read an article that Megabus were going to trial a sleeper service I had to check it out. 


First thing I noticed that was a definite plus for me was there were no queues. The sleeper bus caters for up to 24 people and you are guaranteed a  bed so there is no need to be there too early. On my bus single woman were placed nearest the driver, couples in the middle and single men at the back. I think this is a great idea as it can be daunting if you are travelling on your own.

When the bus started to move we were offered refreshments (tea, coffee, irn bru, water etc) and a selection of nibbles ( shortbread, tablet etc ). The employees talked us through all safety features of the bus and you were then basically left to your own devices.

The bunks themselves are small, but not tiny as I had read in other blogs. I had the middle bunk and was able to get in and out with ease. Within the bunk there was a plug socket, a light (which wasn't very bright), a travel kit (comprising of an eye mask, toothbrush, tooth paste and a luggage tag) a blanket and a pillow. My bunk did have a window, which the bottom bunk was missing but to be honest I did not make use of this feature. Wifi was also readily available throughout the journey.

I am not the greatest of sleepers but managed to sleep from around 2am right through comfortably. Around 6am the lights are turned on and you are given a carton of orange juice and a little pastry before getting into Victoria station.

I paid £40 for a return ticket and I would say it was well worth the money. According to the website the fares can range between £1-£40 one way, so if you were flexible on dates I'm sure you could grab yourself a bargain.  I will definitely be using this service again.

No comments: