Saturday 3 March 2012

8 short trips to the Emerald City

I'm sure i'm not alone when I say I have a very unhealthy obsession with the musical wicked. I love everything about it, i'd go as far as to say if the west end were a town I would definitely be living in the land of OZ.

I have seen the show 8 times since my first viewing back in may 2009 and have stayed loyal to my original cast (Kerry Ellis, Dianne Pilkington and Oliver Thompsett) and still to this day think they were my favourites in the roles, however my most recent trip to the AV gave them a run for their money.



I was thoroughly impressed with this new cast. Gina Beck was so winning as G(a)lida, she played the part more over the top than previous actresses, but it worked so well and the audience seemed to be eating it up.


 I got to see Nikki Davis Jones as Elphaba and what a pleasure that was. She is absolutely incredible, one of my favourite Elphies now. Her Defying Gravity was so powerful and left me almost speechless during the interval. She had the right balance of sass and vulnerability that is needed for the role.


On a less positive note, I wasn't wild on Matt Willis as Fiyero. He seems like a really lovely person but I don't think he portrays the character well. I think there are a lot of contributing factors as to why this is, his accent being one. I just didn't find him believable.


If you have seen the new cast let me know what you think. If not who are your all time favourite cast members?

1 comment:

Elwingda said...

Interesting to read your thoughts on the cast :)

For me, Gina just is Glinda. She looks exactly like I think Glinda is supposed to look and her voice is perfect as well. Somehow she manages to pull the over-the-top element off really well. (I have to say though, I absolutely adored Dianne's Glinda too - really wish I could've seen that live).

Nikki I haven't seen but she does sound great on recordings. Willemijn Verkaik, the German and Dutch Elphaba, is my favourite in that part. And, well, I agree with you on Matt. Mark Evans is my favourite Fiyero (love his voice) and although Matt did a great job, his portrayal just didn't quite do it for me.