Wednesday 8 June 2011

Anthems the tour

I have literally just come home from Edinburgh, sat down my suitcase and turned on my macbook as I have to vent my excitement, elation and sheer admiration for the performance I witnessed last night. Anthems the concert starring Kerry Ellis and Brian May can only be described as a breath of fresh air from the run of the mill music that seems to be dominating the charts in recent times. The humble set and exposed band leave nothing to the imagination, it’s pure talent that would blow away any person of any age.

At first I wasn’t sure how Kerry and Brian would be as a duo, what with seemingly different backgrounds, one being a rock star and the other a west end sensation - I could not have been more wrong- The two compliment each other perfectly.

Kerry’s voice is phenomenal, every note is perfect and her performances are so believable. She sang the album in it’s entirety last night and there was not one song she didn’t nail.  Personal highlights included, you have to be there, no one but you and of course defying gravity. Practically every song was met with a standing ovation, and the atmosphere was electric. 

I have never seen anyone more passionate about playing guitar than Dr Brian May, he looked so intense when playing his solos and in complete awe when not. He seemed so proud of Kerry and complimented her on numerous occasions, even proclaiming that no one but you was now Kerry’s song.

When the concert ended I was on a complete high and could not seem to come down from  it, and still haven’t if i’m honest. I went to the stage door after and Kerry could not have been more lovely. If you still have the chance to see it I would highly recommend it, it’s an experience that i’m glad I had and will never leave me.

No comments: