Sunday 19 May 2013

Spotify Sunday - My Top Touring Songs of 2013



Hello everyone and welcome to my new feature, 'Spotify Sunday'. Every few weeks I'll be sharing a different themed playlist with you - all theatre based of course - and to kick it off this week here are my top show tunes from some of the productions that are - or will be - heading to a venue near you in the next 12 months. I haven't been getting to London as often as I'd like this year so I find myself relying more and more on touring productions to get my theatre fix, and there are some crackers coming up. 

First on the playlist has to be Defying Gravity, the song that I hold responsible for fuelling this little obsessi... em hobby. Wicked starts its debut UK tour in November and I think it's going to be one that gets everyone talking. I am hoping for some cast announcements soon. 

You Can't Stop The Beat from the bright and colourful Hairspray is next on the list. After seeing the show last weekend this track has been a firm iPod fav, this is such an upbeat song that is sure to perk you up no matter what mood you're in.

Song number 3 is the heart-wrenching With You from the equally heart-wrenching show, Ghost. I first saw Ghost in London with Rebecca Trehearn as understudy Molly so i'm thrilled she has been cast for the lead role in the tour - she is awesome.

9 to 5 was one of those musicals I went in with no expectations, I was reviewing it for Backstage Pass and to be honest didn't have high hopes. Boy was I proved wrong... I loved it! 'Get Out and Stay Out' was the 11 o'clock number and has such relatable lyrics that I had it downloaded before I was home.

Memory is one of those show tunes that most people have heard, and has achieved a somewhat iconic status over the years. I haven't actually seen Cats before so I can't wait to see this classic musical come to life on stage.

Last but not least the fab Take Me Or Leave Me from my current show of the moment Rent. After seeing the anniversary concert I have gone into full on 'Rent head' mode. There was an announcement on Twitter that the concert may tour again in November... roll on! 

No comments: