Wednesday 19 September 2012

Glasgow at a glance - Doors Open Day, the Kings Theatre




Last weekend Glasgow celebrated 23 years of its successful Doors Open Day event.

This festival is designed to make the hidden gems of Glasgow more accessible . From the buildings, to the history of the people, it's all covered.

With me being a wannabe thespian (or maybe just a drama queen), I jumped at the chance of a backstage tour at the Kings Theatre . I arrived at the theatre bright eyed and bushy tailed, at a time I would not normally see on a Saturday morning, and was met by our tour guide for the day, Ronnie. His knowledge of the theatre was really extensive and he regaled us with facts and stories about the Kings throughout the years.

I'm a regular visitor there, but I never really stop and take in the impressive building that I'm sitting in and it was really interesting to see things from another point of view. I heard of the many ghost sightings that had been reported, saw inside the orchestra pit and - my personal favourite- got to stand on the stage that so many of my idols have stood on before.

The Kings run these tours all year round and if you're a lover of the arts, or really just a lover of interesting buildings , I suggest you book a place - you will not regret it!





No comments: